JRI Guide Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hidden Treasures

4 posters

Go down

Hidden Treasures Empty Hidden Treasures

Post by SabrinaHikesAZ Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:58 pm

This Topic is dedicated to those cool spots that only guides (well very few people) know about in the Canyon! We can share all those cool places that are only known by spending a ton of time below the rim. From the blue and green rooms in Havasupai to the Cave of the Domes off of Horseshoe Mesa. Please include in your Post Reply: hidden places, favorite spots, cool places off the beaten path, amazing view points, ruins, petroglyphs, favorite campsites and why. Also, if possible please add photos or maps to help other guides find these awesome places.

Last edited by SabrinaHikesAZ on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total

SabrinaHikesAZ

Back to top Go down

Hidden Treasures Empty New Tracks

Post by SabrinaHikesAZ Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:07 am

To start off this Topic, I thought I would let everyone know about something NEW in the Canyon. So recently there was a rock fall and a clean up that included some blasting. When it was all said and done some new animal tracks on the Bright Angel Trail were discovered. They are right on the trail at about 2.5 miles down. Please take a few minutes to check out the link below so that you can show your guests this cool rock! It would be hard to miss since it is massive and facing the trail!

Fossilized Tracks on Bright Angel

SabrinaHikesAZ

Back to top Go down

Hidden Treasures Empty New Fossilized Tracks on Bright Angel Trail

Post by mblaylo1 Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:25 pm

I recently ran a trip on the Bright Angel trail and found the new tracks that have been exposed. They are between 2.5 and 2.75 miles down from the rim. So around 4 switchbacks up from 3 mile rest house. They are located on the outside of the trail and they are oriented so you have a better chance of seeing them as you hike up the trail.

Below is the video i took of the tracks. If you have trouble locating them, let me know and ill try and give you more specific instructions on their location.

mblaylo1

Back to top Go down

Hidden Treasures Empty Re: Hidden Treasures

Post by dallancaldwell Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:41 pm

I hope everyone knows about the tracks on the Hermit Trail. They are on the left hand side of the trail when you are heading down and they are right after the human made wall that almost looks like stairs if you turn to look back up the trail. The better tracks are straight in front of you when you hit the switch back. if you are looking towards the south there is Juniper tree off to your right.

dallancaldwell

Back to top Go down

Hidden Treasures Empty wanderings

Post by Jonopem Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:52 pm

There is an old mine to the West of the amphitheater in Indian Garden. Walk back to the area where the benches are and look for a trail to the North that leads to a wash. Crawl up the wash about 200 feet and the cave is up about fifteen feet above the wash to the North side of the wash. It is easy to miss so keep looking back over your right shoulder as you go up in the wash. Bring a light!

Verizon and AT&T cell phone reception at the helipad above the common bathrooms at Indian Garden... Take BA from campground to Day Area watching for a trail on the right just before a tree that leads off diagonally - it leads behind and above the large day use bathroom unit and past a fire hose box to the helipad. AT&T is spotty and Verizon works.

The spot by the Clear Creek sign and N Kaibab trail for Verizon.

5 minutes to the North and 8 minutes to the South of Cottonwood - if you can see the South Rim, you can get reception to text from AT&T OR Verizon.

Here is a cool Spot if you have time at Cottonwood.... Cross BA Creek to (Transept Canyon I think....) and there is fairly warm water coming from it. Walk up a ways and find some pools to soak in in cooler weather! It is just across the creek and slightly to the North of Cottonwood Campground!

Jonopem

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonopem Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:59 pm

If you can find the Unconformity on the BA trail 1 mile north of Indian Garden.... It is the black line to the right in a convenient shady resting area to the right of the trail while going down, there are ruins to see there.

Turn your back to the Unconformity and look across the creek for a straight line which is a trail. It is right in front of the huge chunk of Tapeats that fell from above 20 yards downslope. Cross the creek and follow the trail up to the opposite wall of the Tapeats where you will find a (class c?) ruins. Please don't touch and take only pictures!

On the way back about 100 yards from before you cross back over Indian Creek look up at the wall above where you were originally standing and sighting the trail and you will see another ruins about 100 feet above the BA trail.

Jonopem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum