JRI Guide Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rules and Protocols

2 posters

Go down

Rules and Protocols  Empty Rules and Protocols

Post by SabrinaHikesAZ Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:40 am

Here we can let each other know about rules and protocols. Some of these may be something we didn't know about in Supai. (like what time the BC office closes in the village Shocked ) or a new standard protocol with in JRI.

SabrinaHikesAZ

Back to top Go down

Rules and Protocols  Empty GCNP The Blue Slips

Post by SabrinaHikesAZ Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:41 am

So Blue Slips are like report cards for guides. When a ranger comes into a commercial guiding camp, they are looking at a few things, I have listed some of those things below. The Blue Slips are not just for bad stuff, if they see something good they will also put it on your blue slip, this is how they know what type of guide you are.
But if they see something that isn't within guidelines, they will most likely write it down and that goes into your file and can reflect on JRI.

Cleanliness
Paperwork easily available: Permit (signed), CUA, WFR
Are the guests happy
Are there any issues. (re-route, medical, emotional, etc.)
And MORE...

SabrinaHikesAZ

Back to top Go down

Rules and Protocols  Empty Re: Rules and Protocols

Post by mblaylo1 Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:13 pm

Hey Sabrina, I was curious if there was any way for guides to check (ideally online) how many blue slips we have with the park?

mblaylo1

Back to top Go down

Post by SabrinaHikesAZ Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:47 pm

Michael, that is a great questions, I am currently working on getting you that answer!

SabrinaHikesAZ

Back to top Go down

Rules and Protocols  Empty Pre & Post Trip Protocols

Post by SabrinaHikesAZ Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:43 am

Hi everyone this is just a reminder... Only because there were a few of these things that were not done correctly at some point in the recent past...

InReach: TURN IT ON and START TRACKING!!!

South Rim P/U: Drivers will meet you at Maswik or the Backcountry office. (they will be parked at the BIC and may walk over to Maswik to meet the group...)

Checking in at Trailhead: When you get out of the canyon/off the trial. You must call the office to check in!!! Leave a message if no one answers. If we need something we will let you know. Like checking on a permit, getting a permit updated, etc. Also some guides will need to check their emails when they get out to see if they have been instructed to do some work at the rim...

Out of the Ordinary: Please let the office know by calling if there is something out of the ordinary before, during, or after your trip. This can help us with logistics and other issues...
Examples: Car accident/pile up/death, road closures, detours, construction, power lines being installed, president visiting the National Park, landslides, forest fires, controlled burns, message on the freeway signs, etc.
Email the office: If you see a sign saying X road will be closed due to something on these dates. Just send a quick email to bunnilope@justroughinit.com so that we can plan ahead for the delays and/or detour.

Overnight Parking: You can park at many of the trailheads (Tanner/Lipan Point, Grandview, South Kaibab, Backcountry Information Center, Hermit, South/North Bass)
NO OVERNIGHT PARKING at the visitors center.

Parking and Shuttles:
HERMIT: park at the trail head at Hermit Rests, at the end of the trip the guest should be dropped off at a venue (I always do Maswik due to the variety of food, gift shop, plenty of nearby parking at the BIC.) while they are eating and gift shopping. You the guide, will be taking a shuttle to Hermit's Rest to pick up the company vehicle. Just note that during the very busy season,I have heard of a guide having to wait for 3 busses to get a ride since there were so many people in line!!!
SOUTH KAIBAB: (just my opinion) When I do a South Kaibab to Bright Angel trip I park at the BIC and take a shuttle to the SK Trail head. When we are done with our trip the vehicle is nearby so we can quickly do gear inventory, change (if we have some clean clothes), eat at maswik, and gift shop.

Airing up the tires:
DIRECTIONS: If you use the air compressor. You must read the directions even if you have one at home, used one in the past... Read over the instructions!!!
DON'T FORGET to LET THE AIR OUT!!! Letting the air out lets out water condensation this will keep the inside of the tank from rusting and eventually exploding due to weak zones....

Last edited by SabrinaHikesAZ on Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added out of the ordinary)

SabrinaHikesAZ

Back to top Go down

Rules and Protocols  Empty The Blue Card

Post by SabrinaHikesAZ Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:35 pm

So on the forum after I posted about the blue cards, Michael asked if he was able to look them up... since they are a sort of report card.

Therefore the next time I was in the canyon, I had a in depth conversation with a ranger about the blue cards. The ranger was happy that we wanted to know more, was willing to share a lot of information, AND he gave me a blank blue card!!!  cheers

So here is the deal it is used for administrative purposes for gathering data and doing statistics. They aren't as much about the guide but the guiding company. The ranger said if it has been a while since he has filled out a blue card on a specific guiding company then he would do so. It is done completely random at the rangers discretion. Basically if (s)he hasn't seen a JRI guide in a while then they will fill out a blue card. After their rotation in the canyon, they hike the blue cards to the top where they are turned into the supervisor. The supervisor will then hand those over to be processed by the Concessions Management Office and never to be seen again... Smile

I also asked the ranger about getting a BAD blue card... He said you will know, because you would have received a nice citation or warning. You will know!!! Please see the "Action Taken/Needed" section of the blue card.

Attached is a copy of a blue card. Please look it over so that you know exactly what the rangers and the park are looking for. And do it for me it was a lot of weight to carry out, so please make it worth it. Laughing

Rules and Protocols  Blue_c11

SabrinaHikesAZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum