JRI Guide Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gear Hacks

3 posters

Go down

Gear Hacks Empty Gear Hacks

Post by SabrinaHikesAZ Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:24 pm

Lets share some of the gear hacks we have learned on the trail to help each other use the small thing more efficiently or add something that can make our lives much easier out on the trail.

Here is one that I use on every trip. Like everyone I have extra batteries for my headlamps. Prior to my trips I tape up new batteries with athletic tape in to sets of 3.
When I have used/exhausted my batteries I just though them back into my battery/headlamp bag not taped together so that I know which are which at a moments glance.
Tape Together = New Batteries
NOT Taped = Used Batteries

SabrinaHikesAZ

Back to top Go down

Gear Hacks Empty Re: Gear Hacks

Post by mblaylo1 Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:52 pm

One thing i have found useful in tight situations are zip ties. They are practically weightless and you can buy a 100 pack for less than $5. They have served me well on multiple occasions. I mainly use them when i am camping on a beach and have to use folding buckets to let sediment from the Colorado settle before i can filter the water. If you have ever used a folding bucket you know the frustration that arises from trying to get the dumb thing to stand up properly (or the heartache of waking up in the morning to find your buckets all tipped over). I simply put a zip tie in a tree then attach a carabiner and the bucket to the zip tie. It also makes it very easy to filter out of the next day and the best part is you can cut it out of the tree when you are done. LNT!

mblaylo1

Back to top Go down

Gear Hacks Empty Flocculation using ALUM

Post by SabrinaHikesAZ Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:03 am

Thank you Arizona Trail Association for sharing this one with all of its members!!!

Have you ever come across silty, I mean SUPER SILTY water and you need to use it to make water... For instance the Colorado River or the Paria River! And if you have, you know how difficult and time consuming it can be to make potable water!!!

Step 1 fill up all buckets and pots with water to sit for X amount of time. (forever)
Step 2 pray you have a gravity fed filter
Step 3 find your backup filter or a lot of back washing is about to happen.
Step 3 wait FOREVER to make a little bit of water...
Step 4 refill bucket after it gets spilled....

See my point: NOT A FUN DAY

Well here is your solution!!! Go into the spice section of your local grocery store and purchase ALUM. Then watch this video explaining how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uuQ77vAV_U

Again big thanks to Arizona Trail Association for sharing this

SabrinaHikesAZ

Back to top Go down

Gear Hacks Empty How nozzle on platypus works

Post by SabrinaHikesAZ Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:44 am

OK this may seem very basic but when you have a guest "leaking" precious water or one that can't figure out how to get a drink. Then this saying comes in handy...

WHITE ON BLUE = WATER FOR YOU

SabrinaHikesAZ

Back to top Go down

Gear Hacks Empty Alum: Backcountry Tested, Guide Approved

Post by mblaylo1 Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:17 am

In case anyone is skeptical about how well Alum works in the backcountry, worry no longer! It works like a charm and really does save your filter. The only side effect is if you use too much the water definitely has a bitter taste to it. I know Kyle has experimented with the dosage and found that the water doesn't taste so bad if you use less Alum.

mblaylo1

Back to top Go down

Post by kylesherm Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:10 am

Alum works. Just remember you can always add more. Last fall The sediment in the Colorado varied so you just have to play with it. But definitely helps the life of your filter (I use a katadyn hiker pro) for the Colorado water. I also use a gravity filter for any water source that is not the river. ( 4L platypus gravityworks) saves you from pumping and works great

kylesherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down