JRI Guide Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tricks to Stay Warm in the Cold

3 posters

Go down

Tricks to Stay Warm in the Cold Empty Tricks to Stay Warm in the Cold

Post by mblaylo1 Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:43 pm

A few tricks I pass along to my guests to stay warm during a cold night are simple and effective. First, you want to make sure guests have their mattresses filled properly and if possible, their sleeping bags are not touching the sides of the tent; the sleeping bag will suck in the coldness from the tent. Second, have guests put extra clothing inside their sleeping bag. The clothing will take up empty space (cold air) which means your body doesnt have to work as hard (and as long) to heat the bag. And finally, on particularly chilly nights you can always boil water and put it in a Nalgene. This will act as a mini heater; it gives off heat to help warm the bag and also will warm the body in the process. Just remember to put the Nalgene in some form of clothing so it doesnt burn the guest!

mblaylo1

Back to top Go down

Tricks to Stay Warm in the Cold Empty Gotta Pee and it's cold out there!!!

Post by SabrinaHikesAZ Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:09 pm

We have all been there, it's freezing outside and you have to pee...

There is so much effort involved with such a task; from getting out of the sleeping bag, potentially putting on some clothes, getting shoes on, finding the head lamp, tp, and trowel, if one has a tent unzipping quietly when it sound like a jet airliner, its soooo loud. Then once all that is done one may have to dig a cat hole and then will have to expose their good bits to the cold to actually go to the bathroom. Typically by this point one is already doing the bathroom dance...

I know so many people that would rather not go through the above and just hold it all night... Well that is going to have some negative effects...

1. It will be harder to sleep.
2. It will actually make you colder. Since your body is burning more energy to keep that pee inside warm rather than just keeping you warm. (GET RID OF IT!)
3. One could potentially "wet the bed" and once that heat dissipates then they are stuck sleeping in a cold wet sleeping bad, not to mention they will have to carry that smell around for X many days.

Make sure to mention to your guest to go to the bathroom before heading off to bed and let them know if for some reason they have to go during the night it is best to go. (and if there is a bathroom available they will have to walk all the way there or dig a cat hole if needed...) No slacking because it is 2:00am

SabrinaHikesAZ

Back to top Go down

Tricks to Stay Warm in the Cold Empty The Beanie and Glomitts!

Post by SabrinaHikesAZ Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:50 pm

Beanies are great!!!
I have one that has good ear covers to keep my ear super warm!!! Also I sleep with my beanie on to keep extra warm out in the backcountry. Also its a great fashion accessory in the BRUTAL winter down here in the valley of the sun!!!

Glomitts!!!
What is this crazy word you do ask.... Glove and mittens combined... The glove portion of mine have the tips of the fingers exposed to do detailed stuff and texting (well mostly selfies Razz ). Then they have a mitten cover that goes over my exposed fingers when I just want warm hands. The mitten portion when not over my fingers has a magnet that keeps it open and attached to the back side of my hand. Find a pair that have some kind of rubber or silicone on the palms so that you have gripping abilities! (mine are made by Eddie Bauer and I truly love them!!!)

SabrinaHikesAZ

Back to top Go down

Tricks to Stay Warm in the Cold Empty Re: Tricks to Stay Warm in the Cold

Post by StefanDudzinski Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:11 am

I find that I stay significantly warmer when I keep my wrists and neck warm. If I wear wrist length gloves and a buff around my neck, I am substantially warmer even with "not so warm" clothing while hiking.

StefanDudzinski

Back to top Go down

Tricks to Stay Warm in the Cold Empty Re: Tricks to Stay Warm in the Cold

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down